Saturday, July 08, 2006

Rented a car

It's late on Saturday night and I'm listening to the Wimbledon Ladies' Singles Final on webradio. I dig webradio. The Internet is amazing.
Nate and I are discussing whether Bono works for Jesus. Tongue is in cheek.

This week has been tough b/c Aub and I are completely unsure about what to do this coming year. It's funny; as time has progressed, we become LESS sure of what we should do - come back to the US or stay in Japan. So your prayers would be appreciated on that.
Anyway, during this tough time, I decided we should loosen it up a bit in the face of the coming typhoon, which I am hoping will skirt us to the west. Fortunately, it does look like it is going to move more towards the west. Too bad it doesn't look like it's moving towards Pyongyang. That would be great. Moving on, flowers were involved in the loosening up, as was a rental car from the place across from the airport. It was a small car but it had what I wanted - steering wheel, motor, potent A/C, and CD player. Yes, A/C was very important. So I got back from work, went to get the car, came back and surprised Aubrey, and then took her for a drive. We just enjoyed the A/C and the fact that moving around on Kikai didn't require sweating up a storm. We went out to dinner at the restaurant in the middle of the island and just kind of drove around and purposely got lost at night. This morning we went to the beach early and then came back so I could talk to our Jehovah's Witness friends. This time one of the original JWs came along w/ a Filipina convert who spoke pretty good English. We had another good convo and I'll probably go to the Kingdom Hall on Tues night, just for the hex of it. You know how they say you won't win over cult mbrs w/ just a few convos? True, but you do what you can. Got nothing better to do on Tues night, that's for sure.
Anyway, the rest of the day, we used the car to do some shopping to prepare for the typhoon (if it's bad, the stores will be closed and so will school on Monday). The rest of the time we just drove around.
Later we went to our friends' house to eat dinner and feed them some of my Rice Krispy treats. I didn't think they were all that great b/c I didn't put in quite enough cereal and the cereal was halfway to getting a little stale. But all present ate a ton of 'em so I guess they weren't bad.
Here's hoping that the electricity and Internet will withstand the coming typhoon. That's hoping for a lot but a guy can always dream, right?



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this blog promoting the Jehovah's Witnesses belief system?

The core dogma of the Watchtower organization is that Jesus had his second coming 'invisibly' in the year 1914.Their entire doctrinal superstructure is built on this falsehood.

Jehovah's Witnesses door to door recruitment is by their own admission an ineffective tactic (nobody's home). They have lost membership in all countries with major Internet access because their false doctrines and harmful practices are exposed on the modern information superhighway.

There is good and valid reasons why there is such an outrage against the Watchtower for misleading millions of followers.Many have invested everything in the 'imminent' apocalyptic promises of the Jehovah's Witnesses and have died broken and beaten.

Now if you wanted to know about the quality of a product,would you listen to the seller's pitch or a former longtime customer?
---
Respectfully,Danny Haszard http://www.freeminds.org (consumer report on the Watchtower organization)

Rhology said...

Danny,

The short answer is: No, it should be clear that neither I nor my blog endorse or promote JW-ism. As an orthodox Christian, I deny that JW is true and deny that JW-ism is Christian.

A longer answer: Your goal for JWs and my goal for JWs are quite different. I took a long-ish look at your website and I see that you are an ex-JW but aim only to discredit the Watchtower, not to reveal Jesus Christ to current JWs. My goal is different - discrediting the Watchtower is a secondary goal; revealing the saving grace of Jesus Christ to JWs is the primary goal. If I can accomplish that by discrediting the Watchtower, I do it gladly. If taking time and effort to discredit the Watchtower to a large degree would hinder a JW from coming to Jesus Christ in faith so as to be saved, I won't bother. In that case, I know the Holy Spirit will be faithful to show the Watchtower's errors to the new follower of Jesus Christ in good time.
I sent you an email; did you receive it? Might you have time to answer it?

Peace,
ALAN

Anonymous said...

I apologize for taking liberties with your blog.

Rhology said...

Not at all! I didn't intend to convey annoyance or anger. Rather, I am inviting dialogue.

Peace,
ALAN

Anonymous said...

I encourage you to keep going to the kingdom hall. It is well worth it . They really do have the truth!

Rhology said...

OK. They actually DON'T have much truth there, but thanks for the input.

Anon, if you come back thru here, would you mind commenting on a few evidences for the JW worldview? Why should I believe that the Watchtower is right?